Photo by Garry Knight is licensed under CC BY 2.0
The Utility Maintenance Program (UMP) provides an alternative to the termination of essential services by establishing an escrow account where tenants have the option of paying their rents. The funds held in escrow can then be used to pay for essential services. Once essential services have been restored, and all outstanding balances have been paid, the Department can begin the process of removing the property from UMP.
HOW DO I GET MY PROPERTY OUT OF UMP?
The property remains in UMP until:
- All utilities fees owed the Los Angeles Department of Water and Power (LADWP) are paid in full;
- LADWP recommends removal from UMP;
- All unit registration requirements of the Rent Stabilization Ordinance (RSO) are met;
- The building has not also been placed into the Rent Escrow Account Program (REAP); and/or,
- There has been no tenant participation during the preceding 12 months.
After a property is recommended for removal by LADWP, HCIDLA will check to make sure that all requirements are met (i.e. all RSO fees are paid, the property has not been placed in the Rent Escrow Account Program (REAP) before removing a property from UMP. Having verified that all requirements are met, the Department will return any remaining funds held in escrow and terminate the notice on title.
If you still have questions about UMP, please contact us at the numbers below, Monday through Friday, from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Phone: (844) 864-REAP
Fax: (213) 808-8810
TTY: Due to technological changes, if TTY is needed to contact us, please use Telecommunication Relay Services (TRS) such as Text-to-Voice TTY-based TRS, Speech-to-Speech Relay Service, Shared Non-English Language Relay Services, Captioned Telephone Service; IP Captioned Telephone Service, Internet Protocol Relay Service, or Video Relay Service.
Or by email: firstname.lastname@example.org