City of Los Angeles 2023 – 2028 Assessment of Fair Housing
The Los Angeles Housing Department (LAHD) and the Housing Authority of the City of Los Angeles (HACLA) are collaborating to update the City of Los Angeles’ Assessment of Fair Housing Plan. The City’s 2023-2028 Assessment of Fair Housing (AFH) will examine whether everyone has similar choices for housing regardless of protected class. Learn more about how this process will engage Angelenos. Federally protected classes include race, ethnicity, national origin, sex, religion, disability, and families with children. California state law also prohibits discrimination in housing for other protected classes due to age, ancestry, citizenship and immigration status, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, language, sexual orientation, source of income, and veteran status.
The AFH will:
- Identify the primary conditions that limit fair housing access in Los Angeles;
- Recommend and prioritize actions to address these limiting conditions in order to:
- Reduce segregation;
- Eliminate racially and ethnically concentrated areas of poverty;
- Reduce disparities in access to community assets; and
- Reduce disproportionate levels of housing need for families with children, people with disabilities, and people of different races, ethnicities, and national origins; and
- Outline goals, milestones, and metrics for implementing actions to address fair housing issues in Los Angeles.
The community’s opinions and perceptions are an important part of this planning process, and everyone is invited to participate. Your input has and will continue to provide essential information to local policymakers, LAHD and HACLA staff, housing providers, fair housing organizations, social service providers, lenders, and affordable housing advocates.
As we embark on the development of this AFH study, we’ll use this page to keep the public up-to-date on the plan’s progress. We look forward to hearing from you throughout the AFH process!
Please Complete a Fair Housing Survey
Share your thoughts on fair housing by participating in the fair housing survey!
- What are the greatest housing needs in Los Angeles?
- Are community resources equally available in all neighborhoods?
- Do you know your fair housing rights?
Please take a survey by clicking one of the links here:
Virtual Fair Housing Community Meetings
LAHD and HACLA hosted seven community meetings to discuss the City’s AFH Plan in December 2022. The meetings provided information on federal, state, and local fair housing protections and sought input from community members on housing barriers and their experiences. Attendees discussed housing needs in their community, fair housing issues, and opportunities for improvement. The meetings targeted specific areas of the city but were open to all. YouTube video recordings of each community meeting are available below. Note: Sign language interpretation can be found in the West Los Angeles meeting recording.
- North Valley: Thursday, December 1, 2022 – https://youtu.be/fVpy_smvjqE
- South Valley: Monday, December 5, 2022 – https://youtu.be/33uP7ME0eRg
- South Los Angeles: Tuesday, December 6, 2022 – https://youtu.be/eI0qIJKtHac
- Harbor: Thursday, December 8, 2022 – https://youtu.be/bNbiTdM9lSk
- Central Los Angeles: Monday, December 12, 2022 – https://youtu.be/7OCh8xndRaY
- East Los Angeles: Tuesday, December 13, 2022 – https://youtu.be/-8P8A_BqgWE
- West Los Angeles: Thursday, December 15, 2022 – https://youtu.be/ehgexbXC6gw
LAHD and HACLA will continue to solicit input from community members and stakeholders during the first quarter of 2023. Members of the public will have additional opportunities to participate in meetings on the AFH before the report is drafted and finalized.
- Stakeholder interviews: January 2023
- Community meetings led by Liberty Hill Foundation and various community-based organizations: Early 2023
- Draft AFH plan available for public comment: May-June 2023
- Review and approval of the City’s draft AFH: June – July 2023
Send your e-mail address to firstname.lastname@example.org to request to be added to our contact list to receive updates on the project, including information on attending community workshops, reviewing discussion input from meetings and workshops, and commenting on the draft plan when it becomes available. Please include: “Add to Contact List” in the email subject line.
Contact LAHD at email@example.com with any questions or comments about the AFH.
City of Los Angeles’ Previous 2018-2023 Assessment of Fair Housing
Click on the following links to download the AFH Plan