Handyworker uses licensed General Contractors for minor home repairs and accessibility improvements at no cost to eligible homeowners and renters. Administered by the City of Los Angeles Housing Department (LAHD), Handyworker’s goal is to help seniors and those living with disabilities live independently for longer and age-in-place. By correcting safety and health hazards that could cause injury or illness, safety and livability of the home is improved.
- Property must be located in the City of Los Angeles.
- All applicants must meet household income limit guidelines.
- All applicants must be a minimum age of 62 and/or living with a permanent disability.
- For renters: Services offered are limited to safety devices such as grab bars, shower chairs and toilet seat risers.
|Annual Household Income Limit||$70,650||$80,750||$100,900||$117,050||$109,000||$117,050||$125,150||$133,200|
The Work We Do
- Up to $5,000 for home modifications for homeowners
- Up to $600 for safety devices for renters
Each household’s total repair budget is limited. As such, the program is unable to perform all needed repairs. Repairs that address health and safety issues are prioritized. Proposed repairs shall be reviewed by the participants, but the list requires LAHD approval. Priority is given to work that addresses health and safety in the home.
Common repairs/installations include:
- Smoke and carbon monoxide detectors
- Wheelchair ramps
- Grab bars
- Quick releases for window bars
- Water heaters
- Doors and locks
REPAIRS NOT COVERED BY OUR PROGRAM
- New appliances
- Heating and air conditioning
- Pest control
- Repairs to unpermitted structures
- Major electrical and plumbing work
How to Apply
- Collect documents to demonstrate eligibility:
- Proof of age (state ID or driver’s license)
- Proof of disability (if not senior 62 or older)
- Proof of income (social security award letter, pay stubs, pension, etc.)
- Proof of homeownership (property tax statement, grant deed, mobile home registration)
- Proof of residency (recent utility bill)
- Proof of financial assets (rental income, retirement accounts, investment accounts, etc.)
- Call us at (213) 808-8803 to find the nearest community partner that can help you with your application.
- If TTY is needed to contact us, please use Telecommunication Relay Services (TRS) such as Text-to-Voice TTY-based TRS, Speech-to-Speech Relay Service, Shared Non-English Language Relay Services, Captioned Telephone Service; IP Captioned Telephone Service, Internet Protocol Relay Service, or Video Relay Service.
Please note we get more applications than we are able to accommodate. There may be a waiting list for service. All work is subject to availability of funds. Program policies are subject to change
The Handyworker Program never requests Social Security numbers or bank information.
If young children are present in a pre-1978 home, you may qualify for the Lead Hazard Remediation Program.